Skip to main content

When it rains.....

As I mentioned I've been O/S recently, visiting Bali and Malaysia. While in Malaysia we hit up the lovely beaches of Langkawi and then moved onto KL for some exploring, food and shopping. We decided on Langkawi after looking it up and seeing the tranquil blue water and white sand we were so keen on to just relax and unwind with a cocktail of six.



On the left is what we expected in Langkawi. On the right is what we got.






 It started raining on the first night we got in and barely stopped for 5 days. You know what tropical rain is like. Big shit. It's the biggest loser of rain. So there were a lot of cards played, drinks had, lovely chats with the better half but no sun and certainly no beach.


So I did what any sensible person does. I tuned to music and made a Langkawi rain go away playlist to celebrate all things rainy (or lack of sun-y depending how you look at it). 


It was long, but here are 5 of my favourites (and a gem I just found).

1. Fritz Kalkbrenner - Facing the Sun
Fritz is one of two insanely talented producers/DJ brothers from Berlin. The track has an awesome, almost latin feel with the guitar and rhythm at the start before the bass kicks in with a thud. He sings on his own tracks with a voice that polarises people. I love it, it really makes you listen. This is what sunny Langkawi would have sounded like for me.



2. Travis - Why Does it always rain on me?
I was asking myself this a fair bit while we were in Langkawi. This is actually an old favourite of mine, I remember loving it from the moment I first heard it in high school. Great track.





3. The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun
This is one of my favourite Beatles tracks and probably George Harrison's best known contribution to writing for the Beatles. Was hoping that this might inspire the sun to poke its damned head out. #Fail



Nina Simone - Here Comes the Sun (Francois K Remix)
Why it wasn't on my playlist, while looking for the above track I found an amazingly lush remix of Nina Simone covering the track. Francois K on the remix



4. Washed Out - Feel it all Around
This song still makes me feel like I'm lazing outdoors in the sun with no agenda and a beer (basically what I should have been doing in Langkawi). It was the first track that got me into Washed Out, a producer from Georgia in the States. Everything he touches is beautiful chillwave gold - listen more


 
5. The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
I've never been a huge Kinks fan, but this was on my girlfriends iPod as we cruised the Island and it seemed to deserve a spot. It is a great song after all!


Do you have a favourite track (or playlist even) for when it get rainy outside? Let me know in comments, or even better link to your track so we can all hear it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much is too much?

In 1987 the Finance world was brought to its knees when Wall Street collapsed, sparking a global financial meltdown not seen since the depression. In the movie world however, the finance sector was booming, and Wall Street the film introduced us to Gordon Gecko, the slick trader brilliantly played by Michael Douglas. “Greed is good” became a household saying and its impact is still audible more than 20 years later in the lexicon of today.

New Navy - Zimbabwe (RUFUS Remix)

This is always good to hear. Young Australian artist producing genuine quality music. The original version of Zimbabwe by Sydney band New Navy was one of last years catchy gems and launched them into a really good place.

Peugeot Restoration - Part 1

I love bikes to bits. I love bikes in bits, in means there's a chance to put them back together again (which I also love!) I've got a special love for classic old frames and when i saw a mid 70s Peugeot bike in reasonable knick on ebay it got my mind racing (excuse the pun).